Lemmy 🐀 - Building a federated alternative to reddit in rust
Lemmy - A Link Aggregator / Reddit Clone for the Fediverse.
Lemmy is similar to sites like Reddit, Lobste.rs, Raddle, or Hacker News: you subscribe to forums you're interested in, post links and discussions, then vote, and comment on them. Behind the scenes, it is very different; anyone can easily run a server, and all these servers are federated (think email), and connected to the same universe, called the Fediverse.
For a link aggregator, this means a user registered on one server can subscribe to forums on any other server, and can have discussions with users registered elsewhere.
The overall goal is to create an easily self-hostable, decentralized alternative to reddit and other link aggregators, outside of their corporate control and meddling.
Each lemmy server can set its own moderation policy; appointing site-wide admins, and community moderators to keep out the trolls, and foster a healthy, non-toxic environment where all can feel comfortable contributing.
Note: Federation is still in active development
Why's it called Lemmy?
- Lead singer from Motörhead.
- The old school video game.
- The Koopa from Super Mario.
- The furry rodents.
- Open source, [AGPL License](/LICENSE).
- Self hostable, easy to deploy.
- Comes with [Docker](#docker), [Ansible](#ansible), [Kubernetes](#kubernetes).
- Clean, mobile-friendly interface.
- Only a minimum of a username and password is required to sign up!
- User avatar support.
- Live-updating Comment threads.
- Full vote scores
(+/-)like old reddit.
- Themes, including light, dark, and solarized.
- Emojis with autocomplete support. Start typing
- User tagging using
@, Community tagging using
- Integrated image uploading in both posts and comments.
- A post can consist of a title and any combination of self text, a URL, or nothing else.
- Notifications, on comment replies and when you're tagged.
- Notifications can be sent via email.
- i18n / internationalization support.
- RSS / Atom feeds for
- Cross-posting support.
- A similar post search when creating new posts. Great for question / answer communities.
- Moderation abilities.
- Public Moderation Logs.
- Can sticky posts to the top of communities.
- Both site admins, and community moderators, who can appoint other moderators.
- Can lock, remove, and restore posts and comments.
- Can ban and unban users from communities and the site.
- Can transfer site and communities to others.
- Can fully erase your data, replacing all posts and comments.
- NSFW post / community support.
- High performance.
- Server is written in rust.
- Front end is
- Supports arm64 / Raspberry Pi.
Support / Donate
Lemmy is free, open-source software, meaning no advertising, monetizing, or venture capital, ever. Your donations directly support full-time development of the project.
Logo made by Andy Cuccaro (@andycuccaro) under the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license.
Lemmy owns the following accounts on other platforms:
Lemmy joined 4 months ago.